All I Ever Needed to Know, I Learned at Philmont
By an anonymous staff member of Philmont Scout Ranch
Most of what I really need to know about life and how to live I learned
while working at Philmont. Wisdom was found atop a real mountain where
the air is a bit thinner and your mind is clearer. These are the things
I learned while hiking the mountain:
- Different is good
- Take pride in what you do.
- People talk too much.
- Map and compass skills are good to have
- Live simply.
- Avoid redundancy.
- Be flexible.
- Know how to drive a stick and on a mountain road.
- Sometimes when you go camping in July, it snows.
- Appreciate nature.
- Share your water and food with strangers.
- You can cure most ills with a cup of cocoa and a star-filled night.
- All you need in this world is food, water and good friends to stop by
and see you once in a while.
- Everything tastes better after you've been hiking for three days.
- To make a burro do as you please, you have to bribe him with something.
- You do not need electricity or running water or cable or computers or
telephones to live an enjoyable life.
- Thoreau was right.
- Getting dirty is OK.
- Dirt in food won't kill you.
- God is everywhere.
- It doesn't matter where you're from or what you do for a living.
- You're only lost when you don't know where you're from and you don't
know where you're going.
- Sleeping under the stars is more meaningful if you have a warm sleeping
- Campfire entertainment is better than concerts you pay for.
- All you need on your days off is a shower.
- You can carry everything you need to survive on your back.
- Take pictures.
- Hike slowly and quietly or you'll never see anything.
- Try not to hike in cowboy boots.
- Always have dry boots, comfortable shoes to change into and clean
- Be prepared.
- E-mail and reunions are no substitute for the real thing.
- Dream big.
- If each person does just a little bit more than expected, everyone has
less to do.
- While it may be a lot of work, the view is best from the summit.
- A good view is more important than privacy.
- Never take mornings for granted.
- Every person has something to share.
- The more often you quite something, the longer it takes to get done.
- It's worth hiking over the next ridge to see friends.
- There's no better feeling than khowing that almost anywhere you can go
in the world, you have a frienc who will want you to stay with them.
- Drink lots of water.
- Always have TP.
- And always take a buddy.